- How to Pay Your Bill
- Start, Stop or Move Service
- Understanding Your Bill
- Rates & Regulations
- Customer Newsletter
- Energy Assist Programs
Special Medical Needs
We recognize that some of our customers depend on life support equipment at home and/or increased heating or cooling needs due to a medical condition. This may increase electricity bills on top of other health care expenses. With these customers and their families in mind, we created the Special Medical Needs Rate. This pilot program is available now and expires March 31, 2019.
Our Special Medical Needs Rate offers a discount of $0.04 per kWh (on the Non-Fuel Energy Charge) on the first 500 kilowatt-hours in any month. Maximum savings is $20 in a given month ($0.04 times the first 500 kWh).
- Customers who use 250 kWh in a month will see a $10 lower bill that month ($0.04 times 250).
- Customers who use 500 kWh in a month will see a $20 lower bill ($0.04 times 500).
- Customers who use 1,000 kWh in a month will see a $20 lower bill ($0.04 times 500). All kilowatt-hours over 500 will be charged at applicable rate for that tier on that island.
How to Enroll
Enrollment is open through March 31, 2019 for up to 2,000 residential customers of Hawaiian Electric, Hawaii Electric Light and Maui Electric Companies.
To apply, please fill out the form, get a licensed physician's signature and submit it to by regular mail or in person. Please do not submit electronically. We will review each application for completeness and may need to verify the applicant lives primarily at the service address. A customer may apply the special rate at only one service address. Upon acceptance the applicant will get a letter and the reduced rate will be in effect for the next full billing cycle through March 31, 2019.
Who May Qualify
To qualify, a Hawaii-licensed physician must certify that the resident at that service address has one of the following medical issues:
- Dependent on a life-support device used in the home, which includes but is not limited to: respirators; iron lungs; hemodialysis machines; suction machines; electric nerve stimulators; pressure pads and pumps; aerosol tents; electrostatic and ultrasonic nebulizers; compressors; intermittent positive pressure breathing (IPPB) machines; and motorized wheelchairs; or
- A paraplegic, hemiplegic, or quadriplegic person, or a multiple sclerosis patient with special heating and/or cooling needs; or
- A person being treated for a life-threatening illness, or a person with a compromised immune system with special heating and/or cooling needs to sustain the life of the person or prevent deterioration of the person's medical condition; or
- A scleroderma patient with special heating needs.
Our Special Medical Needs Rate Pilot Program can be used in combination with Net Energy Metering, Customer Grid Supply, Customer Self Supply, or LIHEAP.
Customers on the Residential Time of Use rates or Temporary Residential-Schedule G may not receive the Special Medical Needs Rate discount, but should apply for the utilities' Life Support Program so we are aware that someone dependent of life support equipment lives at that service address.