- Clean Energy Facts
- Producing Clean Energy
- Integration Tools and Resources
- Electric Vehicles
- Going Solar
- How You Can Help
Community Solar Brochure
Download our Community Solar handout. Click here >
For questions about Community Solar, please email us.
How Will Hawaiian Electric's Community Solar Program Work?
Please click here to read about Hawaiian Electric's proposal for a community solar pilot project.
Hawaiian Electric supports increasing options for ALL customers. Community solar is an option that will provide the benefits of solar energy to those customers who either choose not to or do not have access to install rooftop solar on their property.
- A community solar facility will be sited in an optimal location and scaled to serve the entire electric system in the most cost-effective way
- Hawaiian Electric will provide energy via the grid for all customers from all generation resources, including the community solar facility.
- Customers who wish to participate will purchase an interest in the energy from the community solar facility to offset their monthly bills without installing solar panels on their property.
- Hawaiian Electric will credit community solar participants' monthly electric bill in proportion to their interest in the energy generated and provided to all customers via the grid.
Guiding Principles for Our Community Solar Program
- Expand options to meet more of our customers' ever-changing energy needs. Community solar will be one of a range of new products and services designed to address those needs in a fair and sustainable way.
- Develop community solar in the most cost-effective way that benefits ALL customers - not just participants in the community solar program -- and that does not increase the cost-shifting we're currently experiencing with net energy metering.
- Ensure the economic benefits of solar go to participants, not to Hawaiian Electric or independent power producers.
Who is Involved in the Community Solar Program?
A community solar facility will be developed in the most cost-effective way, at an optimal location and at scale to allow as many participants as possible.
Customers without rooftop solar may purchase an interest in the energy generated by the community solar facility to offset their monthly electric bill without installing solar panels on their property.
The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission will approve the price all customers pay for the energy generated by the community solar facility and the amount to be credited to community solar participants.
Hawaiian Electric will provide energy from the community solar facility to all customers and credit participants on their monthly bill in proportion to their interest in what the facility generates.