Maui Electric offers electrical safety tips this holiday season
Release Date: 11/30/2015
KAHULUI, November 30, 2015 - Light up your holidays safely with these electrical safety tips from Maui Electric:
- Use a power strip with a surge protector if you need to use multiple outlets. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets.
- Test light strands and inspect them for broken sockets and worn wires. If using traditional lighting, connect no more than three strands of push-in bulbs and a maximum of 50 bulbs of screw-in bulbs.
- Confirm extension cords, power strips and lights are rated for outdoor use if using outside.
- Avoid stringing lights in contact with metal, such as attaching them with staples, winding strands around nails, or stringing lights on chain link fences or on metal rain gutters.
- Remember the 10-foot rule if you are using a ladder to string lights outdoors: Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines.
- Replace traditional lighting with light emitting diode (LED) holiday lighting. LED bulbs use up to 90 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb to produce the same amount of light.
"Our Maui Electric ohana wishes everyone a bright and safe holiday season," said Sharon Suzuki, president of Maui Electric. "During this time of year, when many of us are plugging in more electronics, lights and decorations around and outside the home, it's important to keep electrical safety in mind."