Understanding Your Bill
- Start, Stop or Move Service
- How to Pay Your Bill
- Understanding Your Bill
- Energy Assist Programs
- Rates & Regulations
- Customer Newsletter
- Power Quality
Report Suspicious Activity
To report fraud, call us from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461. Or, call 911 to report any suspicious activity.
Tips to Protect Against Fraud
We want you to know about a variety of alarming scams targeting our customers so that you can better protect yourself against fraud.
Scammers are growing increasingly sophisticated and use high-pressure tactics to extort money. It’s very important that you not provide personal, confidential, or financial information to unknown individuals. And if you have any doubt about a call, email, or visit from someone claiming to represent Maui Electric, call our Customer Service Center from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461. We care about your safety and security and can confirm whether the contact is legitimate.
Email Phishing Scam
This online fraud involves scammers sending email asking customers to pay their utility bills online via a link to a false website. While we do send email to our online customers, our email always has our logo and the email links to our website: https://eservice.heco.com. (You can pass your mouse pointer over a link to see its destination before clicking on it.)
Money Transfer or Prepaid Card Phone Scam
This scam often targets small commercial businesses in an attempt to collect payments. Customers receive a telephone call threatening immediate disconnection unless they pay their utility bills by making a money transfer or cash express payment via a bill payment machine at a retail establishment.
In some reported cases, customers’ telephone caller IDs showed the calls were from Maui Electric. These calls were not made by Maui Electric. The scammers used commercially available technology to simulate our legitimate caller ID.
Please note that MoneyGram and Green Dot MoneyPak, are not acceptable methods of paying electric bills. Our approved third-party payment agent is Western Union.
Reminder: If you receive a call from someone demanding immediate payment of your electric bill, do not provide any information about your account. Ask for the individual’s name and phone number, and say you will call back. Call our Customer Service Center from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461 to report the call.
Utility Impersonators Scam
This scam involves individuals posing as Maui Electric employees on a service call to inspect electric outlets in our customers’ homes. Once inside, the impostors commit a robbery.
Reminder: Maui Electric employees will not show up unannounced to inspect equipment inside your home. If you feel uncertain and want to confirm that Maui Electric employees are visiting your home or business, call our Customer Service Center from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461. Also, ask for proper identification if approached by individuals who claim they are from Maui Electric. Maui Electric employees and contractors working for Maui Electric will always present their identification.
How to Protect Yourself
Tips to protect yourself from being a victim of these scams:
- Your best defense is to exercise caution.
- Don't provide personal, confidential, or financial information—including billing information—to any unidentified individuals.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Get the caller's name, phone number, and company name, and offer to call back after you have verified the information.
- If you have any doubt if a call, email, or visit from someone claiming to represent Maui Electric is legitimate, please call our Customer Service Center from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461.
- If you have made a payment, do not call an 800 number to provide the confirmation number or to report it. Instead, call our Customer Service Center from Maui at 871-9777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 877-871-8461.
- Report any suspicious activity to police.
- Maui Electric employees would not direct you to make a payment at any location other than through our approved payment locations and methods.