- Save Energy & Money
- Electric Vehicles
- Business Account Services
- Customer Renewable Programs
- Solar Water Heating Financing
- Advanced Meters
What are Advanced Meters?
Advanced meters are modern electric meters that enable a two-way sharing of data between your home or business and the Hawaiian Electric Companies through a secure wireless communications network. Advanced meters have a digital display and are similar in size to analog electric meters and is part of our grid modernization efforts.
What can advanced meters do differently?
- Unlike old meters that require a person to physically read the meter for billing purposes, advanced meters have the ability to capture and send electricity usage data to your electric company via wireless technology. This means fewer trucks on the roads, less gas consumed, and cost savings through improved operational efficiencies.
- An advanced meter sends instantaneous alerts when power outages occur, allowing your electric company to locate and fix problems faster. Work crews can also send a signal to the meters to identify “pocket” outages (small sets of homes/businesses that sometimes remain out of power after majority of a circuit is restored) to ensure all customers are restored before leaving a job site.
- Energy use data can be collected in 15-minute intervals and uploaded to an energy management web portal that you can use to track your usage. This will allow you to better understand how different electronics and appliances contribute to your overall energy usage and how to make adjustments to better manage energy expenses.
- Advanced meters use radio frequency (RF) to communicate across the electric grid. RF is electromagnetic energy that includes frequencies used for everyday communications such as radio and TV broadcasting, cell phones and Wi-Fi routers. For more information on RF, click here.
My Energy Use portal
In addition to the benefits of cost savings and the ability to address outages quickly, an advanced meter will record 15-minute interval usage data and give you access to it through the “My Energy Use” web portal. Being able to analyze your granular usage data is something that would not even be possible with an older meter.
With the My Energy Use web portal, you can easily view how much electricity you use during different hours of the day and compare your usage patterns to previous days and weeks. This can help you to be more aware of your energy use patterns and make smart, cost-saving energy adjustments.
Direct access to your data with Green Button
It’s your data, you should have full access to it. The My Energy Use portal provides you with the ability to easily download your energy usage data with granularity down to 15-minute intervals in either CSV (Excel) format or Green Button format.
Green Button is an industry-led initiative to provide utility customers with easy and secure access to their energy use information in a standardized format (XML). This allows you to provide your data to third parties for purposes like programming home energy management devices, sizing and financing rooftop solar systems, and verifying home energy savings investments.
Safety of Advanced Meters
Advanced meters are an important part of our Grid Modernization Strategy. When installed and properly maintained, wireless advanced meters result in much smaller levels of RF exposure than many existing common household electronic devices, particularly cell phones and microwave ovens. Learn more >