Grid Modernization Strategy
- Sustainability Report
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Integration Tools and Resources
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Electrification of Transportation
Modern Grid Technology & Leading Practices Workshop
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Through Order No. 34281, the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to develop "a detailed Grid Modernization Strategy [that] will provide the comprehensive and holistic vision and context to inform subsequent review of discrete grid modernization project applications submitted by the Companies."
The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to make an initial draft of the Grid Modernization Strategy available for stakeholder review and comment no later than June 30, 2017, with the final Grid Modernization Strategy documents to be filed with the commission no later than August 29, 2017.
Welcome: On May 10, 2017, the Hawaiian Electric Companies held a Modern Grid Technology & Leading Practices Workshop. The workshop was attended by roughly 150 stakeholders in person, and by another 102 via webinar. Of those who attended via webinar, 46% were from Hawaii. Recordings of the webinar and copies of panelist presentations can be found on this web page.
The objective of the Workshop was to facilitate the constructive exchange of information on commercially available advanced technologies and leading engineering practices in use to support electric grid modernization. Hawaii is at the leading edge in encountering the combined challenges facing traditional electric distribution systems. However, utilities across the world have been encountering certain aspects of the same challenges. This workshop will include discussions of the key modern grid technologies and approaches needed in Hawaii, as well as relevant perspectives based on global experience.
8:00-8:30 Welcome & Introduction (Colton Ching)
8:30-9:45 Panel 1: Customer Facing Technologies
Discuss residential and commercial customer expectations and trends that are shaping technologies that empower customers. Share leading utility practices to engage customers in managing energy use as part of operating a modern grid.
Moderator: Don Von Dollen, EPRI
- Tendril - Chris Black - Download slides
- Sunverge- Martin Milani - Download slides
- Chai Energy - Cole Hershkowitz - Download slides
- Advanced Microgrid Solutions - Jesse Bryson - Download slides
10:00-11:15 Panel 2: Integrated Grid Planning & Process
Discuss leading practices in planning methods and modeling needed with DER adoption at scale. Also, the need for integrating of resource, transmission and distribution planning and related process for engaging stakeholders.
Moderator: Bob Zavadil, EnerNex
- Synergi - Larry Trussell - Download slides
- Integral Analytics (Load Seer) - Kevin Kushman - Download slides
- Southern California Edison - Erik Takayesu - Download slides
- EPRI - Jeff Smith - Download slides
11:15-12:00 Roundtable Discussion: State of Modern Grid
Discussion of modern grid developments and related interoperability efforts across the US and worldwide with a focus on relevant insights for Hawaii.
Moderator: Colton Ching
- EPRI - Mark McGranaghan - Download slides
- SGIP - Sharon Allan - Download slides
- DOE-DSPx - Joe Paladino - Download slides
- HNEI - Jay Griffin - Download slides
12:00-1:00 Lunch Break on Your Own
1:00-2:15 Panel 3: Distribution Automation/DER Integration/Microgrid
Discussion of leading practices and advanced grid technologies to improve reliability, operational efficiency and DER integration. Also, insights on microgrid developments and integration with electric grids.
Moderator - Don Von Dollen, EPRI
- S&C Electric- Mike Edmonds - Download slides
- Siemens/Omnetrics- Mike Carlson - Download slides
- General Electric - Elliot Assimakopoulos - Download slides
- ConnectDER/INFP- Whit Fulton - Download slides
- STEM - Tad Glauthier - Download slides
2:30-3:45 Panel 4: Operational Communications
Discussion on leading practices, architecture and technologies for field communications to support advanced grid applications discussed on Panel 3 and customer services including smart metering.
Moderator - Paul De Martini
- Cisco Systems- Mike Robinson - Download slides
- SilverSpring Networks, Inc. - Alec Almond - Download slides
- Verizon - Jay Olearain - Download slides
- EPRI- Jay Herman - Download slides
- Itron - Ty Roberts - Download slides
3:45-4:45 Panel 5: Grid Architecture
Discuss grid architecture for an integrated grid, including leading practices and the implications for technology development and adoption.
Moderator - Paul De Martini