- Sustainability Report
- Clean Energy Facts
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Electrification of Transportation
- Integration Tools and Resources
Integrated Grid Planning
Planning Hawaii's Grid for Future Generations
With a renewed focus on comprehensive energy planning, the Hawaiian Electric Companies proposed an Integrated Grid Planning ("IGP") process that we believe will benefit customers by identifying the best options to affordably move Hawaii toward a reliable, resilient clean energy future with minimal risk. In addition, we believe the State will benefit from expanded market opportunities for resource, grid services, and non-wires alternatives for transmission and distribution ("T&D"), which can foster innovative solutions for a new energy economy.
The Hawaiian Electric Companies believe the IGP process must be customer-centric and engage stakeholders to broadly represent the interests of Hawaii's various communities. This involves actively engaging customers and communities throughout this process to ensure balanced representation. Transparency and effective stakeholder engagement are key success factors for IGP.
- On July 12, 2018, PUC opens docket and invites public comments on our Integrated Grid Planning Report.
- The Hawaiian Electric Companies developed a Grid Modernization Strategy filed with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (PUC) on August 29, 2017. As part of the Grid Modernization Strategy, we proposed the Integrated Grid Planning process that integrates the needs at all levels of the system: customer, bulk power resources, transmission, and distribution. The process would engage customers and stakeholders at key junctures in the integrated resource, transmission, and distribution planning effort.
- The Hawaiian Electric Companies filed our Power Supply Improvement Plans ("PSIP") with the PUC on December 23, 2016, outlining our near-term actions that will lead to the use of renewable resources to meet 100 percent of Hawaii's power generation needs by 2045. The PUC accepted the PSIP on July 14, 2017.
Integrated Grid Planning Documents
- December 14, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Workplan
- July 13, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Report filed in Docket No. 2018-0156
- March 01, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Report
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- Order No. 36218, Accepting the IGP Workplan and Providing Guidance (Docket No. 2018-0165, March 14, 2019)
- Order No. 35569, Instituting a Proceeding to Investigate the Integrated Grid Planning (IGP) process (Docket No. 2018-0165, July 12, 2018)
- Order No. 34773, Opening a docket to serve as a repository for the GMS and any related filings/public comments (Docket No. 2017-0226, August 29, 2017)
- Order No. 34696, Instituting a Proceeding to Review the Power Supply Improvement Plans for the Hawaiian Electric Companies (Docket No. 2014-0183, July 14, 2017)
Integrated Grid Planning Contact Information
Email us at IGP@hawaiianelectric.com.