- Power Outages
- Storm Center
- Electrical Safety
- Indoor Safety
- Outdoor Safety
Report Power Outages
Call 808-871-7777 (Maui) or 877-871-8461 (Molokai, Lanai) if you are currently experiencing a power outage.
Downed Power Line Infographic
Downed power lines can be energized and deadly. For your safety, please follow these rules. Download flyer >
Downed Power Line Safety
When lines from a utility pole fall to the ground, touch a guardrail or land on a car, please remember:
- Stay away from downed power lines - at least 30 feet or more
- Always assume downed power lines are energized and dangerous
- A downed power line touching a fence or guardrail can energize it for several thousand yards and pose a hazard to anyone coming into contact with these structures.
- Don't run away; instead, keep your legs together and shuffle away with both feet on the ground to a safe distance (30 feet or more)
- If a power line falls on your car while you are inside, follow these instructions:
- Remain where you are, if possible, and wait for help
- If you must get out of the car because of a fire or other hazard, jump free of the car, hopping with both feet together so that your body clears the vehicle before touching the ground
- Once you clear the car, shuffle at least 30 feet away, with both feet on the ground
- Never step down or simultaneously touch the ground and equipment that is in contact with the power line, as this will increase the risk of electrical shock
If you see someone injured after touching a downed power line, call 9-1-1 for help
- Don't try to rescue the individual because electrical current can travel through them to you and you risk becoming a victim yourself
- Warn others to stay away
Report downed power lines immediately by calling Maui Electric's Trouble Line is 871-7777, or toll-free from Molokai and Lanai at 1-877-871-8461, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.